copyright © Susan Taylor Aldridge

Monday, October 13, 2008

Oliver C. Arnett, his father Samuel Arnett, nephew of John Querns, and his children

O C ArnettDistrict 15, Decatur, Georgia
O C ArnettDistrict 15, Decatur, Georgia

The way Samuel Arnett worded his will, he assured that his son Oliver C Arnett had a mother and his widow the step mother Ann Catchings Arnett had an estate to live off of. The estate was to stay in her hands for Oliver unless she married or died. He wills her 2 daughters by William Ashmore 100 dollars each. Mildred her mother married Ben Catchings who died in 1798. Their daughter Ann married Samuel Arnett- for both it was at least a second marriage. Samuel had a son named Oliver C Arnett b 1818 who was the last born before Samuel married Ann Catchings in 1819. Ann raised him as her own. Mildred Catchings the mother in law lived with the family until she married a Carlton. Mildred may have considered Oliver C. her own grandson because of the closeness OR the previous wife of Samuel was also a Catchings.
This page talks about Mildred Carlton relict of Ben Catchings, also Oliver C. Arnett and Ann Bird which may have been a middle name of Ann or another husband or a step daughter or daughter.
page 8
Nancy Arnett, grand daughter of Ann Spears Arnett, married William H. Glaze

GENERATION EIGHT: WILLIAM H. GLAZE:


William H. Glaze (WHG), Jane Glaze's father, was the second son and

second child of Thomas Glaze Sr., and Milly Frazier. He was born

9-1-1785 in Granville Co., NC. He second married Nancy Arnett, daughter

of Samuel Arnett and Ann Spear. He died sometime before 2-7-1859. He is

buried in the Glaze Family Cemetery, east of Midland, Harris Co., GA.

The dates on his headstone read born 9-1-1787 and died 1850, but these

dates do not correspond with the dates given by Milly Frazier Glaze in

her pension application. In fact, he does appear in the 1850 census of

Harris Co., HH 46. Nancy Arnett was born 9-1807 in SC, and died 4-9-1887.

She is also buried in the Glaze Family Cemetery. From Milly Frazier

Glaze's pension application we know that WHG was in GA, in 1800. His

oldest daughter, our Jane Glaze, was born in 1815, and WHG appears in

both the 1820 and 1830 census records of Lincoln Co., GA. Nancy Arnett

appears as a widow in the 1860 census of Harris Co., GA. It should be

noted, however, that there were at least four William Glazes in early

Georgia and North Carolina and care should be taken to distinguish one

from the other. Our ancestor's occupation was that of "planter" (to be

distinguished from "farmer") and by the time he prepared his LWT owned a

substantial plantation and many slaves. In 1848 he was a 2nd Lieutenant

in the Georgia Volunteer Cavalry, 67th Regiment. He served as a member

of the Board of Trustees for "Shoal's Academy," in Harris Co., GA. The

following is taken from "History of Harris Co., 1827-1961," by Louise

Calhoun Barfield, The Columbia Office Supply Co., Columbus, GA, 1961, pp.

435-436:

"Ellerslie is located on what was the intersection of the

stagecoach route of the Alabama Road and the Talbotton Road eighteen

miles from Columbus Ga...That the community was interested in education

is evidenced by two advertisements for early academies: (1) Ellerslie

Male and Female Academy...(2) Shoals Academy two and one half miles south

of Ellerslie. A typical noticed of accommodations listed detailed

information: Principle James Castleberry, Board, including washing and

lodging, can be had with the teacher (described as excellent). Board,

females at $5-10 per month: tuition: reading, writing, spelling $12;

geography, English grammar, arithmetic, history, ancient geography, and

English classics $16; Latin, Greek, Algebra, Surveying, Chemistry,

Rhetoric, Trigonometry. Opening date: School will be opened the second

Monday in January. Signed John McFarin, William Glaze, Charles Huguley,

W.W. Wellborn (Board of Trustees), Harris Co., 12-20-1853."


William H. Glaze left a most interesting LWT dated 11-1-1856, Harris Co.,

GA.:

State of Georgia, Harris Co. In the name of God Amen. I William

Glaze of said State & County, being of advanced age, and knowing that I

must shortly depart this life, deem it right and proper both as respects

my family and myself, that I should make a disposition of the property of

which a kind providence has blessed me, do therefore make this my last

will and testament. Hereby revoking all others heretofore made by me.

Item I: I desire and direct that my body after my death be buried in a

decent and Christian like manner suitable to my circumstances and

condition in life. My soul I trust may return to rest with the great God

who gave it. Item 2: I give, bequeath, and devise to my beloved wife

Nancy for and during the duration of her natural life, ten negroes, such

as she may choose from my entire lot of negroes, also two horses or mules

at her option to be chosen by her from my stock, one cow and calf, one

sow and pigs, one feather bed and furniture, one pleasure carriage and

harness, and at the death of my said wife Nancy, the property herein

devised to her, to revert to and be equally divided between the children

she now has or may hereafter have by me. Item 3: I give and bequeath to

my sons-in-law, John H. Frazier and James O. Burdette, each five hundred

dollars in money to be paid over to them respectively twelve months after

my death by my executors hereinafter mentioned and which I intend as

being in full for their distributive share of my estate. Item 4: I give

and bequeath to my son William H. Glaze in trust for my daughter Jane

Gulat (Gullatt) wife of George W. Gulat, five hundred dollars to be paid

to hm twelve months after my death by my executors, to be invested by my

said son William H., to the best advantage according to his judgment for

the use of my said daughter Jane Gulat. And at my daughter's death I wish

the same equally divided between her children. Item 5: I give and

bequeath to my son Wesley B., one negro to be taken from my lot of

negroes that will make him equal with the negro I gave my son William H.,

one roan horse colt, one bed and furniture, once cow and calf, one trunk

to be delivered to him by my executors when he marries or becomes of age,

Item 6: I give and bequeath to my two daughters Cynthia D., and Frances

E., each a negro woman or girl such a negro each as will make them equal

to the negroes that I gave my daughters as they married off, one bed and

furniture, one cow and calf, one trunk and one side saddle to be

delivered to them respectively as they marry or become of age. Item 7:

All the residue of my property and effects, I wish and desire to be kept

together, except such perishable property as might from time to time be

conveniently shared, or advantageously disposed of for provident causes,

such as _______ and worked on my present plantation the surplus

of________after the families support to be sold and the proceeds put out

to interest but when my youngest child arrives at lawful age or marries I

desire that all my property both real and personal except the specific

bequests herein before mentioned, shall be sold to the best advantage by

my executors and the proceeds thereof equally divided between my wife,

and all the children she now has or may hereafter have by me (except the

portion going to my daughter Sidney Glaze, wife of William Glaze Sr.);

that portion I will and bequeath to my worthy son-in-law John W. Jackson

in trust for my said daughter Sidney Glaze the said portion to be by the

said Jackson reduced to money and loaded at interest, or invested in

other profitable property according to his judgment as he may deem best,

the proceeds and or interest thereof to be paid to my daughter Sidney.

The said John W. Jackson is to turn over to said Sidney the portion

hereby bequeathed, but in the event of my said Sidney's departing this

life without issue then the said property to be equally divided between

her brothers and sisters, share and share alike; but should my wife die

or marry again, I wish the sale and distribution to take place

immediately after such event as provided in this 7th item. Item 8: I

hereby constitute and appoint my beloved wife Nancy Executrix and my

beloved son William G. Glaze and my worthy son-in-law John W. Jackson

executors of this my last will and testament—this 1st November A.D. 1856.

William Glaze

Witnesses:

Charles Huguley

George Huguley

J.A.F. Lee.

Recorded 2-7-1857

Geo. W. Mullins, ordinary


Note that WHG refers to William H. Glaze Sr., who married his daughter

Sidney. As of 1999 this man had not been identified. He also refers to

his "worthy son-in-law," suggesting that he was not fond of all of his

sons-in-law. Finally, note that WHG leaves his daughter Jane Gullatt's

(wife of George W. Gullat) inheritance to her brother William H. Glaze

Jr., to hold in trust for her. One might suspect that WHG was not

especially fond of George W. Gullatt.


WHG died shortly before the beginning of the Civil War. Evidently, his

property was divided as he desired, but was lost by his survivors in the

aftermath of the War, said aftermath being known as the "Reconstruction

Period," a period of extraordinary pillage and exploitation by the

northern "carpetbaggers."


- book MMM p60 Mildred Carlton appointed Samuel Arnett agent for her grandson Oliver Arnett.(Land deed)
And there are others out of Wilkes County, GA.
According to one, a reference to Dr. Samuel Arnett. Then reference to Dr. Seaborn Arnett in the Marshall Cemetery.
Mildred Ashmore Steed, step daughter of Samuel Arnett - son of Ann Spears Arnett and Edward Arnett
Children
  1. Has Children Frances Steed b: ABT 1817? in Georgia
  2. Has Children William Ashmore Steed b: 06 SEP 1823 in Wilkes County, Georgia
  3. Has Children Phillip M(arbury?) Steed b: 15 JUN 1825 in Georgia
_______________________________________

The other Arnetts who may have not been related may have been Arnutt/Arnot of Germany

No comments:

Followers